Every year in California, an estimated 4,000 foster youth transition from dependents of the foster care system into emancipated adulthood at age eighteen. The Fostering Success Program (FSP) is Folsom Lake College’s deep commitment to serving our community’s current and former foster youth, making their representation and success a focal point.
The Fostering Success Program aims to equip and empower its students with the skills, awareness, services, and support network that allows them to achieve personal and academic success by providing the following services:
- Priority registration*
- Counseling (iSEP, personal, transfer)
- Book vouchers and school supplies
- Transportation assistance: monthly gas cards & Los Rios student parking permit
- Events & workshops
- Graduation cap, gown, and FSP sash
- Financial aid & scholarship assistance*
*Eligibility for priority registration and foster youth-specific grants is not guaranteed and based on additional factors including a student’s current age.
Program Eligibility Guidelines
- Currently enrolled in a minimum of 3 units at Folsom Lake College. If concurrently enrolled at another college, the majority of units must be at FLC.
- Has at least one day of foster care experience from 0-18 years old (e.g., foster home, group home, or placed with a relative by the court) that is supported by Ward of Court documentation.
Please refer any student who self-discloses having experienced being in foster care to:
Student Services Supervisor
Phone: (916) 608-6923