Articulation is the process of developing a formal written agreement that identifies courses on a “sending” college campus that are acceptable in lieu of, specific course requirements at a “receiving” campus.

Successful completion of an articulated course (or sequence of courses) assures the student, and the faculty, that the student has taken the appropriate course, received the necessary instruction and preparation, and that similar outcomes can be assured, enabling progression to the next level of instruction at the receiving institution.

Students who complete articulated courses greatly benefit in that they can fulfill university admission, major preparation, and general education requirements, making them more attractive candidates for admission consideration, while saving time and money in the process.

ASSIST Temporary Sites

This page contains temporary sites created by the CSU's and UC's which contain information not available on Legacy ASSIST.

Temporary ASSIST
Adobe PDFCSU and UC articulation uipdates for 2017-2018 and 2018-2019
UC Berkeley articulation updates
UC San Diego temporary ASSIST/Course Transfer Guide

Counseling Center Policy and Procedures

Below are the Policies and Procedures for Counselors at Folsom Lake College:

Adobe PDFAssessment General Info
Adobe PDFAssessment Practices - examples
Certificate Petition Form
Dismissed/Probation/PASS Students
Graduation Petition Process
International Students
Student Athlete Counseling
Student Veterans

New Transfer Students

If a New Transfer student has already completed the English and math classes that they need for graduation or transfer at a previous college, or they’ve taken the prerequisite courses at another college, please follow one of these steps:

  1. To show the New Transfer student has met the assessment “step”, counselors should click on the ASSESSMENT reason code in SARS GRID during a counseling appointment. The SARS nightly upload will populate the MATRIC panel in Peoplesoft to show the student has completed that step. 
  2. If a New Transfer student wants to clear or challenge a prerequisite with prior coursework, they should be directed to the appropriate process – clearance through A&R or challenge through the department.
    1. If a student is using the Prerequisite Clearance form because the class they completed is on the approved English or math course equivalency list, they can attach unofficial transcripts (or AP test scores, if applicable).
    2. A&R will post a milestone on the student’s record for clearance into the specific course they want to add (which is also portable across the District). 
      *Please note that the clearance is for the specific class – for example, if a student submits a clearance form for ENGWR 301, we post a milestone for ENGWR 301. If the student wants to enroll in ENGWR 302 in a future term, that previous milestone for ENGWR 301 will NOT allow enrollment into ENGWR 302.
  3. It is imperative that the student understand that they will need to supply the college with official transcripts or AP test scores, should their goal be FLC graduation or CSU/IGETC certification for transfer. 
  4. We will also place milestones for students who have a previously approved course sub/waiver petition on file in OnBase (rather than having the student go through the challenge process all over again).  The copy of the petition should be attached to the Prerequisite Clearance form, and we will post the milestone accordingly.


If a high school student who is graduating and coming to FLC as a new student is using AP test scores for placement into English or math, the following steps should be followed:

  1. We require the following for high school students for prerequisite clearance:
    1. Unofficial AP scores (from the College Board website) – OR –
    2. If scores are not available or exam hasn’t been taken, a letter from the high school on school letterhead saying the student is scheduled to take the AP exam or they took it but it's too early to have scores.  This can be emailed to THIS OPTION IS ONLY AVAILABLE FOR FALL ENROLLMENT – NOT SUMMER (since the AP test scores won’t be ready to send until later in the summer).
  2. A milestone will be posted to clear the fall enrollment. The student will be notified and be given a deadline of August 11, 2017 –when the official AP test scores should be submitted to A&R. If we don’t receive the official scores by that deadline, the student would be administratively dropped from the fall semester class.

If the student is trying to enroll in a summer class, we recommend they go through the math challenge process

Prerequisite Clearance/Challenge Forms

Adobe PDFEnglish - LRCCD External Equivalencies
Adobe PDFEnglish Prerequisite Clearance Form
Adobe PDFMath - LRCCD External Equivalencies
Adobe PDFMath Prerequisite Clearance Form

Academic Renewal

Students may wish to have a substandard grade discounted from their grade point average by petitioning for academic renewal.  Substandard grades are defined as 'D' or 'F'. The following conditions have to be met prior to submitting a petition:

  • Twelve (12) consecutive months shall have elapsed since the end of the semester or summer session in which the work to be alleviated was recorded.
  • A minimum of twelve (12) units of 'C's' or Pass/Credit grades have been earned at FLC or any regionally accredited institution.
  • A maximum of 30 units are allowed to be academically renewed.
  • Use caution when doing academic renewals - once a course is academically renewed - it cannot be repeated here at FLC.
  • Counselor and student fill out an 'Academic Renewal Request' form. Forms are stored in the black plastic box on counter in hallway.
  • Attach transcripts that show proof of 12 units of 'C' or better coursework.
  • Counselor turns petition in to Admissions and Records.
Advanced Education

Information for Counselors:

  • The ADV ED packet should be complete - with all signatures and attached documentation (high school transcript, schedule, private school affidavit (if appropriate), personal statement, assessment placements (if appropriate). Per new district policy, the person who signs the advanced education application as the school principal or designee must be a duly authorized designee. The spreadsheet with the list of approved designees is listed in the counseling folder on the K drive.
  • For private or home schools, they should have the private schools affidavit attached to the advanced education packet.  Check to see if the signature on the advanced education packet matches the name of the principal or lead person at the private/home school. Attach the affidavit to the packet for OnBase scanning.
  • Advanced Education Students register during Priority 3 registration. It will be important for counseling counter staff to fill in each student's exact P-3 appointment on the cover sheet - so the student knows when they can come back to register in person at the A&R counter.
  • Through a new regulation, non-resident fees are now waived for advanced education students, along with the regular $46 per unit enrollment fee. The student must pay the $1 student representation fee and the UTP fee when they enroll.
  • Enrollment is limited to 2 classes per semester. There should only be 4 options listed on each application.  Please note that last year we started allowing students to just have the course title on the application e.g., ASTR 300 - not the exact class number (e.g., 15733) - which will give the student some flexibility when it comes time to meet with you, the FLC counselor. As long as there is a class number on the ADV ED application when they come to the A&R counter (which has been filled in during their counseling session), we'll be able to enroll them in that specified class.
  • Each college in Los Rios can only enroll advanced education students into their own classes, e.g., FLC counter staff can only override the ADV ED hold and add into FLC courses. The student must go to the college where they want to enroll in classes and go through that school's advanced education/counseling process. For example, we cannot add ARC classes for ADV ED students.
  • Student must have completed 10 th grade or be 16 years of age by first day of instruction.
  • The following courses are excluded from Advanced Education students.
    • Basic skills courses (courses with numbers 1-99).
    • Courses that require repetition due to an unsatisfactory grade received at the student's school.
    • Courses offered at the student's school during the same semester the student wishes to enroll at FLC. However, if the student is enrolled in the maximum number of units that their school permits, they may enroll in a college course, even if it is offered at their school during the same semester. Also, if the student has satisfactorily completed a high school course and wishes to enroll in a more rigorous college course in the same discipline, he/she may do so. 
  • If you approve the advanced education application, sign off and give the packet back to the student.  It is their responsibility to enroll in person at the A&R counters at FLC, EDC or RCC. Please make sure the student understands that their appointment date/time is their FIRST opportunity to register in classes - and any time after that. If their appointment is Thursday at 10:00 am and they're in class at their high school, they can come to the college when they're finished with school to add. 

Click here for Steps for Students to Apply

AP/IB/CLEP Test Scores

Folsom Lake College allows the use of AP/IB/CLEP tests to meet FLC general education requirements. FLC also accepts these tests to meet major requirements.

Students may wish to use their test scores to meet major requirements that are not posted on these charts. In those instances, students must file a 'Petition for Course Substitution & Waiver'. Counselors assist in filling out this form. These forms are then sent to the appropriate department.

This form is stored in the black plastic bin on the counter in the Counseling hallway.

Catalog Rights

For purposes of graduation from any of the colleges of the Los Rios Community College District, students remaining in attendance in one (1) session (quarter, semester, or summer session) at any California community college, or any combination of California community colleges, campuses of the California State University, the University of California, or any regionally accredited institution of higher education, shall elect to meet the requirements in effect at the Los Rios college from which the student intends to graduate as follows:

  • Requirements in effect at the time of admission to a Los Rios college OR
  • Requirements in effect at the time the student originally enrolled in an accredited college or university OR
  • Requirements for the major in a more recent catalog year may be substituted for the requirements in the catalog at the time of admission OR
  • Requirements in effect at the intended date of graduation from a Los Rios college

For maintaining catalog rights, students must remain in attendance in at least one session in each calendar year. Absence for attendance at another accredited institution shall not be considered an interruption in attendance. Students would need to present documentation (transcripts) to prove they were attending another college to maintain catalog rights.

Counselors and Evaluators need to be mindful of both the semester and calendar year in which the student started, stopped and subsequently restarted (especially Spring semester starts). Basic rule is that at a minimum, the student must attend at least one quarter, semester or summer session in each consecutive calendar year. For example:

  • Student A starts in Spring semester 2008. The student could then “stop out” until Fall semester 2009 without breaking catalog rights (1 semester in 2008; 1 semester in 2009). Attending in Summer 2008 and/or Fall 2008 (same calendar year) would not move the Fall 2009 deadline. The student must attend at least one quarter, semester or summer session in 2009 (Spring, Summer or Fall), to maintain their catalog rights.
  • Student B starts in Summer session 2008. They could also stop out until Fall 2009 (1 semester in 2008; 1 semester in 2009). Attending in Fall 2008 (same calendar year) does not change the Fall 2009 deadline. The student must attend at least one quarter, semester or summer session in 2009 (Spring, Summer or Fall), to maintain their catalog rights.
  • Student C starts in Fall semester 2008. They could also stop out until Fall 2009 (1 semester in 2008; 1 semester in 2009). The student must attend at least one quarter, semester or summer session in 2009 (Spring, Summer or Fall), to maintain their catalog rights.

If any of these students completely stop out until Spring 2010, they would lose their original catalog rights. A college may authorize or request substitution for discontinued courses. Students changing their major field of study may be required to complete those requirements for the major at the time of change.

Students may petition for leaves of absence from a college of the Los Rios Community College District in order to maintain catalog rights to a specified degree requirement. Leaves of absence may be granted for verified medical and military situations that prevent the student from attending classes in ay college session in a calendar year. Such leaves shall be limited to two (2) successive calendar years. In extenuating circumstances, a leave of absence may be extended beyond the two-year limit.

Counselor Tools

Below are common tools helpful for counselors.

Accreditation Web Site
Catalog Links - Community College, CSU, UC and private
CCC Transfer Counselor Website
Child Development Training Consortium - ECE CAP Program
College Source Catalog Site
California Community College Chancellor's Office Counselor Resources Site
California Educator Credentialing Examinations Website
Adobe PDFCommunity Resource Guide
Course Number Converter - Los Rios
Course Outlines from California Community Colleges
DSST Exams - Formerly DANTES
FLC Transfer Webpage
GPA Calculator
SARS Home Access
Transfer Data Resources for Reports

Resources available for our students

California Endowment - Health4All
Kognito - Training Program for Persons working with Students
Undocumented and Uninsured Resources
The Victims of Crime Resource Center
Preventing Workplace Violence for Health Care and Social Service Worker

UC Information

UC Campuses

CSU Information

CSU General Education

California Private/Out of State Colleges and Universities


CSU Sacramento