The Distance Education Subcommittee's objective is to maintain responsibility for the review of distance education (DE) portions of curriculum that pertain to all delivery modalities except in-person, and for the Distance Education Plan.
- To provide guidance to faculty developers in properly justifying DE curriculum requests based upon the standards set forth in the 2008 Distance Education Guidelines from the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office.
- To provide guidance to faculty developers in meeting district, state, and federal requirements for Regular and Effective Contact.
- To make recommendations to the Curriculum Committee in regards to approval of DE requests.
- To ensure that curriculum for DE contains the same academic standards as those required for in-person courses.
- To provide guidance to the college on matters related to Distance Education planning.
- To work with the OIR to identify data elements and develop reports to aid in informed DE decision making.
- To assist curriculum developers in making appropriate DE requests.
- To review and recommend changes needed for DE requests to the Technical Review Subcommittee in order to comply with the district, state, and federal guidelines.
- To periodically review current best practices for DE in regards to delivery, learning management systems, publisher modules, and providing for students with disabilities.
- To maintain responsibility for Distance Education planning.
Total number of members is eight (8), including representation from the following constituency groups:
- Administrators (1)
- Administrative Liaison (1)
- Faculty (7)
- Faculty Instructional Design and Development Coordinator (1)
- Faculty (1) from the Curriculum Committee with online/hybrid teaching experience
- Faculty (5) from different disciplines with online and/or hybrid teaching experience